BI Collaboration Best Practices: BI Collaboration
The concept of sharing of BI resources, experiences, technologies, methods and best practices as an integral part of a business operation is something all organizations have done, but typically in one-off discussions over the cubicle wall, in meetings or general discussions. Few organizations though have implemented a collaborative framework as part of their daily operations.
In short, a BI-C program should simply make the process of planning, building and implementing a BI application a low-risk, high-return experience by leveraging the collective know-how of the organization and extended BI community in an easy to use and accessible resource.
Let’s follow along and see where automation may be involved.
It’s always good to remember that technology is such a small part of the solution and often such a large part of the problem.
Selecting the Ideal BI/Data Analytics Solution, Part 2
There are a number of items to consider in the technical considerations category. These are items which should be considered when considering deployment, interoperability, IT staff required and so forth.
Avoiding the ERP “Value Trap” with Your Analytic Applications
Top 10 Reasons for Sub-Optimized Analytics
1. A clear vision was not set or adhered to during implementation.
2. The applications were not designed within the context of an overall information architecture.
3. Rushed implementation timelines.
4. Business processes were not challenged and fundamentally rethought.
5. Insufficient attention to data quality.
6. The applications were not configured “optimally” based upon proven application-specific and industry best practices.
7. The organization and people were not aligned to embrace the new tools and support them going forward.
8. Lack of attention to the maintenance requirements of the solution.
9. Lack of commitment to sunset “rogue” analytic applications.
10. Viewing BPM and BI as a single phase project vs. a multiphase transformation.
Selecting the Ideal Business Intelligence/Data Analytics Solution
When defining a solution, keep in mind that a solution is the product or combination of products which will enable you to best attain your definition of a successful solution. It should address all required criteria and provide as many additional desired features as possible.
BI and Political Resistance
It is, however, clear that a well-defined and properly communicated company strategy will help to unify and lessen disparate wills and wishes on BI usage. A clear strategy also often helps to diminish rivalry between different business units as it leaves less room for personal interpretations on what should be done. Nevertheless, there are many other organizational cultural reasons for a high degree of politics, something that will ultimately very much concern a BI implementation.
It could be time to start a real project.