DM Review – Business Dimensional Modeling: Back to the Future
As I reflect on future of business intelligence, I cannot help but think of what we have accomplished so far. Over the past two decades, there have been incredible changes in the business climate and amazing advancements in technology. As an industry, we have accumulated extensive experience, much of which is available through a variety of publications. Notable advancements include:
- Improved overall reliability of the entire environment.
- Ability to effectively build, administer and query very large and complex analytical databases where it is not uncommon to have multiterabyte dimensional data marts.
- Development of a thriving tools business for ETL and data management technologies.
- Emergence of meta data standards that are beginning to be adopted.
- Harnessing of the Internet for cost-effective delivery to many more people.
- Increase in the number of well defined architectures and methodologies to discuss, debate and provide guidance.